Some thoughts on how you could evaluate the state of your backlog.
Small, well groomed backlog
- Are the tickets in the backlog going to be actioned in the near term?
- If you deleted the tickets that aren’t in your near-term roadmap, how long would it take you to recreate it?
- Is the Backlog consistently growing or shrinking?
- Are the tickets all in a state to be actioned immediately, or do they need additional work?
Ticket & Project Health
- Is the average age of your tickets staying constant? Increasing?
- Is the average time your tickets staying open consistent? Increasing?
- How many projects are in progress? Is it less than 1 / person?
- How many tickets are in progress? Is it less than 1 / person?